Wednesday 18 April 2012

Who are these frightful savages?

A firm idea of the socio-economic background (oh dear god, what have I become?) of your pretend soldiers is all well and good, but what do the grubby primitives look like?


Digging around, I found a couple of images from an old 'Famous Regiments of the Imperial Guard' article...


Finreht Highlander
Mordant 'Acid Dogs' Sergeant
What I love about these two is that they look like combat soldiers - back-up weapons, grenades, and - most importantly - ammunition. The run-of-the-mill Cadians have what, three magazine pouches? British infantry carry six. They look feral, but also ruthlessly practical - she has a thick vest of some kind (not some eighties Escher-ganger bikini), he's lugging around a respectably sized bergen - this is something that most (even heavily converted) GW minis lack, and what I am endeavouring to create without making the models too 'cluttered'.


What I imagine the characters to look like, and what I manage to make my minis look like, are slowly beginning to converge. Seriously hacked-up Vostroyans with Space Wolf, Marauder Horsemen or more obscurely sourced heads accompany my 'second generation' models pieced together from heavily green-stuffed cadians with Forgeworld bits and all sorts of other odds and ends, who are in turn accompanied by some bulked up and de-eighties-ed Escher gangers. It's taking time, money, and a hell of a lot of effort, but I must admit it's rewarding when it works properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment